Thursday, August 15, 2013

DIY Makeup Remover Wipes

Picture from Ulta.com
In case you haven't been paying any attention at all, I love makeup. I love looking at makeup. I love buying makeup. I love putting on makeup. I love wearing makeup. What I don't love so much is taking it off. Makeup remover wipes are expensive, and they never seem to get everything completely off. When I saw that Beautylish had their own how to on making one's own makeup remover wipes, I knew I had to try it out. Thus follows my attempt at following their tutorial...


Things needed:
  • 2 cups water (I used Smartwater. Really. Since it's going on my face, I didn't want to use tap water.)
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (a DIY beauty staple)
  • about 2 squirts Burt's Bees Tear-Free Baby Wash
  • paper towels
  • tall container with a lid that seals
  • microwaveable bowl that's deep enough to stir in without splashing
  • utility knife


First of all, you want to cut the paper towel roll in approximately half. My container could only fit slightly less than half, so make sure you measure before you cut.
I had a very difficult time cutting through with my paring knife, so I borrowed a roommate's bread knife and tried to saw through. It was a mistake to use a serrated knife because little pieces of paper towel went everywhere, and it was still very hard to cut through.
Not very pretty, is it?
Then you want to remove all the excess paper towels so that the roll is thin enough to fit inside the container. Don't throw out the extra paper towels, of course; just use smaller pieces.


 Next, measure out two tablespoons of coconut oil into a microwaveable bowl.
Pour in two cups of water.
Then add two squirts of tear-free baby shampoo. If you're putting these things on your eyes, gentle and tear-free sounds like the safest way to go to me.

Mix it up. I couldn't get all the chunks of coconut oil to dissolve, so I popped in the microwave and stirred again.
I ended up microwaving it for nearly two minutes in twenty-second increments. Keep a close eye on it. You don't want it to boil or get too hot. You just want the coconut oil to melt just enough to mix in well.
Put the paper towels in the container, and then pour in the warm oil-shampoo-water mixture all over. Let it soak, and pull out the cardboard tube from the center.
Seal on the lid. Every time you need to remove your makeup, take off the lid; grab a wipe; and gently swipe it across your face.

I will warn you, though: some of the coconut oil solidified again. It's a bit more moisturizing, that way, though. My biggest problem is that the paper towels I used are too thin and drippy. I end up using three or four wipes each time. My advice, therefore, is to the get the thickest, most absorbent and high-quality paper towels you can find. I also recommend using a different makeup remover for the eyes because I have a hard time getting off mascara and liquid eyeliner with these. For everything else, though, this works well. Just make sure to cleanse, rinse, tone, treat, and moisturize afterward.

Enjoy!

XOXO
Gossip Ghoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment