Friday, August 9, 2013

Masked

I might not have the best complexion in the world, but I do try to keep my skin as healthy as I can with a daily regimen of exfoliators, salicylic acid in cleansers, toners, gels, and creams, retinol, antioxidants, and moisturizers. I have very oily and acne-prone skin, so my skincare routine is a balance of acne treatment, oil absorption, and moisturizing to keep my skin hydrated so that it won't produce even more oil. About three times a week, I do a face mask.

If you've never tried a face mask, I highly recommend it. It's a great way to pamper your skin. There is a large range of face masks from affordable to luxurious for ever type of skin need. I rely on a lot of clay masks and avocado masks for my super slick oily skin, but there are moisturizing varieties for dry skin, like Freeman Beauty's Chocolate Strawberry Mask, which smells so delicious, btw. There are many with antioxidants to combat free radicals, some to brighten dark spots and even skin tones, and even some with anti-aging properties. People with combination skin can apply mud masks only on shiny areas like the t-zone, and there are delicate options for sensitive skin.

Picture from Sephora.com

There are three main types of masks: peel-off, sheet, and rinse-off. Peel masks, like Freeman Beauty's Cucumber Peel, feel like a goopy gel when applied but then dry and are peeled off like a snake shedding its skin to remove impurities and deep clean pores. Think of it as an all-over and much less painful version of Biore pore strips. Sheet masks are like a wet cloth or paper that you put on your face with hole for your eyes, nostrils, and mouth, a literal mask, and all of its goodies soak into your skin. These are the easiest to remove. The third kind is the broadest; these are the masks you paint, with either a brush or your fingers, onto your skin and rinse off, usually with a wet wash-cloth, once they've dried, and these can be made of mud, clay, olive oil, honey, avocado, mashed fruit, yogurt, et cetera. Rinse-off masks are perfect to do during a relaxing bath or unwinding before bedtime.

Picture from FreemanBeauty.com

I honestly have eight different bottles and tubes of face masks that I switch between. Freeman Beauty is my go-to brand, but it's always fun to try new ones. Yes to Cucumbers, Montagne Jeunesse, and several other brands sell single use packets of masks that are perfect for trying out, and of course, there are dozens upon dozens of DIY recipes involving all natural ingredients.

Picture from MontagneJeunesse.com

Just a few notes: make sure you wash and dry your face before applying the mask. The benefits won't really be able to reach your skin if they're blocked by sweat, oil, dirt, makeup, and such, and most masks won't stick to wet skin. Secondly, I prefer to use toner afterward to make sure I removed all traces of the masks and to restore my skin's pH, so I recommend this step. Finally, be sure to moisturize. Healthy skin is always well hydrated, so use your favorite moisturizer or a couple drops of argan oil.

This is a great way to get a spa experience in your own home. You can even place slices of cucumbers over your eyes and take a nap all girls' night cliche style. Try experimenting with different masks, and share your favorites with me in the comments. Enjoy!

XOXO
Gossip Ghoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment