Thursday, August 8, 2013

DIY Sea Salt Spray

I'm excited to introduce a new feature on the Gossip Ghoul Blog: DIY Thursdays! In other words, I am devoted Thursdays to tutorials, how to's, and reviews of DIY projects (DIY means Do It Yourself for those of you who don't know). There are a lot of fun DIY projects out there online, and I've been trying them out to see which ones actually work or are worth the time and effort.

Picture from Sephora.com

My first project is DIY Sea Salt Texture Spray. For summertime hairstyles, textured, beachy waves are one of the most fun (think Gisele), and salt sprays or surf sprays are an essential part of that. The product with the biggest following is Bumble and Bumble's Surf Spray, but that's rather out of my price range for a hair product. A homemade option is a lot more affordable. There are a ton of different recipes for sprays at different blogs and beauty sites, but the one from The Beauty Department seemed to me to be the best, easiest, and most affordable option, since I had most of the ingredients already. Thus follows my attempt at recreating their sea salt spray.

Here's what you need:
  • an empty plastic spray bottle
  • 1 cup hot water
  • a tiny dab of water-based pomade (I used Got 2b's Playful Weightless Creme Pomade, since it's made for adding texture.)
  • 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (Just a note: it must be sea salt! Table salt will not work!)
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 3 drops argan oil
  • 2 tablespoons leave-in conditioner



First, unscrew the lid of the bottle, and pour the water in.


Next, add the pomade. The Beauty Department says to use a "nickel-sized dab." Just make sure to use one that is water-based, or it won't dissolve.

Third, pour in the sea salt. Be sure to use fine sea salt, since coarse-ground salt will have a harder time dissolving.

Then, add the coconut oil and three drops of argan oil. These, along with the conditioner, will act as a moisturizer and prevent the sea salt from drying out your hair too much.


The next step is to put the lid back on and then shake up all the ingredients so far to dissolve everything. Then add in the leave-in conditioner and shake again.

Voila, you now have your own texturizing surf spray. I've been having a lot of fun with mine. I do Wednesday Addams braids most mornings, and I scrunch in some surf spray with my fingers to damp hair so that when I take out my braids, I have effortless beachy waves. Easy and fun! Tell me how it works out for you in the comments.

XOXO
Gossip Ghoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment